About This Blog

This blog is for unsigned Metal bands and bands on small labels. Whilst setting up my promotions company, I noticed that a lot of sites don't cover demo bands and bands just starting out. Hopefully this small corner of the internet will have redress the balance, ever so slightly


Wednesday 24 September 2014

Metal Legions

Metal Legions

I’ve never had any real ambition to do a printed magazine, despite having spent almost 10 years running a very busy webzine. But having returned to the scene at the start of this year, after a couple years away (mainly playing computer games) the whole make-up of the industry had changed.

Personally, I’d moved on to digital and was very happy with this medium. But the more I got involved with music again, the more I was amazed at the need for physical releases, be it vinyl, tape or cd.

Having started a label in April, I was also surprised at the number of small blogs and webzines that had adopted an elitist attitude when it came to small (unsigned) bands and also with digital promos.

So this new project is a mixture of everything I’ve done in the past 6 or so months. The core of Metal Legions will be to feature up and coming bands. But I also need to make a saleable product, so there will also be an emphasis on respected bands and artists.

Musically, it’ll be Extreme and Traditional Metal.

There will also be a free cd with each magazine.

Issue 1 will be out either at the start of December or the start of January. It all depends on how quickly I can fill the cd

The magazine will sell for just £2.50 plus postage

Already confirmed for issue 1
Interviews with The Meads of Asphodel, Chiral and Old Corpse Road
Features on Cumbrian Metal and an Indian Scene Report
And “A Year In Metal”, which will look back at a 12 month section of Metal history

There will be lots more confirmed in the coming weeks as I’m waiting on some interview requests to be confirmed

The Free CD
I’ve decided the fairest way is to charge per minute. So it’s £3 per minute and it’ll be rounded up to the nearest ½ minute. So for example, if you have a track that is 3 minutes and 20 seconds, you’ll pay £10.50 for 3 and a half minutes.

Each band will also be sent a copy of the zine and cd. One band has already requested extra copies to sell, so copies at a reduced wholesale rate will also be available. Price all depends on your location and the postage costs

Ad Space
The inside front cover has already been taken, so there’s just the inside back cover and the back cover itself remaining of the original ad spaces. Inside back is £15 for the whole page and the back cover itself is £25

I want to keep the ads to a minimum, but if there is enough interest, I can add 4 extra pages at a cost of £92. So if I get 4 ad requests, the price will be £23 per page, simply because that’s what it’s costing me for the extra pages.

The magazine itself will be a minimum of 40 pages in A5 format.

Reviews
If anyone wants to send in review material for submission, please keep it current for the magazine. There is more flexibility with my blog, but the magazine will be as up-to-date as possible.


Digital promos are very welcome. 

Many thanks for your time
Steve

Sixsixsix Music


No comments:

Post a Comment